Eye to Eye
VISION CARE FOR YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY
blog-banner-mockup.jpg

What's New

Announcements & Updates

Let's talk about swimming and eye safety!

 We recommend contact lens wearers to start with a fresh pair of contacts after each exposure to water.

We recommend contact lens wearers to start with a fresh pair of contacts after each exposure to water.

Many public pools and water parks are opening over Memorial Day weekend. We'd like to share some information to help you and your loved ones keep your eyes healthy this summer. 

This week also marks Healthy and Safe Swimming Week (May 21-27), sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

According to the CDC, about 500 disease outbreaks in treated recreational water were reported between the years 2001 and 2014. Pathogens (disease-causing microorganisms) accounted for 94 percent of the outbreaks, while chemicals in the water were linked to the remaining 6 percent.

Despite good disinfection systems in pools and hot tubs, there are still bacteria in the water that can adhere to contact lenses and cause eye infections.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has recommended that contact lenses not be exposed to any form of water, whether it's from a swimming pool, well, shower or the kitchen tap.

If it is impossible to avoid contact lens wear while swimming, tight-fitting goggles are strongly recommended to prevent exposure to water. Another option is to start with a fresh pair of contacts after each exposure to water. One of the benefits of daily disposable lenses is that they can be thrown away immediately after swimming. For those who don't use dailies all year long, consider using the daily wear option during the warmer months, and monthly replacements during the rest of the year.

We recommend:
    •    Removing contact lenses before swimming, showering or using a hot tub.
    •    Using watertight goggles, if contact lenses must be worn in water.
    •    Disposing of contact lenses immediately, if they are exposed to water.


Have a safe and fun holiday!

Laura Branstetter